Local Information - Kauri Motel on Riccarton
As most people visiting Christchurch will be aware, our city is a vibrant place of hope, re-growth and ceaseless action to rebuild a better town following the devastation of several major earthquakes which center around the infamous February 2011 Earthquake of 6.3 magnitude, preceded by the September 2010 Earthquake of 7.1.
Following these earthquakes and the multitude of aftershocks and smaller quakes that have followed, welcome tourists and visitors to Christchurch are finding that our city is now home to the brave, the resilient and the survivors. This newly evolved breed of Cantabrians are proving to be positive, welcoming people who have supported one another through the hardest of times. Speaking for most of us, we now see through the material value of buildings and roads to the true value of the safety, care and well being of fellow Cantabrians and all people who visit our area to support this city’s growth. Note - the barriers have now been removed so our central “red zone areas” are open to the public.
If you’re heading to the North or South Island of New Zealand, we welcome you to visit our rapidly changing and adapting city of Christchurch. Come and enjoy the experience of the Re:Start Mall and the ever-growing number of bars, nightclubs and restaurants that have re-opened or newly opened across the city.
Take a wander around our City and see first-hand the changes that have taken place to restore and rebuild a city that is both less, yet much, much more than it ever was or could have been before.
Places to visit in Christchurch
- Welcome Aboard - for the best luxury day tour in Christchurch, including tram, punting, botanic gardens and gondola.
- Metro Info for Public Transport in Christchurch - for comprehensive information for your transportation needs.
- The Cardboard Cathedral – Also known as ‘The Transitional Cathedral’, this unique structure is worth a visit.
Our unique Cardboard Cathedral was most recently visited by Their Royal Highnesses, on their recent visit to NZ.
- The Botanic Gardens – still one of the most beautiful places to visit in our Garden City.
- Riccarton Bush – visit the remnants of our ancient native forest.
- The Riccarton Market - the biggest market of it's kind in New Zealand, on every Sunday 9am - 2pm.
- Sunday Artisan Market in Riccarton - a selection of local art, craft and food.
- Re:Start Mall – an innovative shopping experience in the heart of the city.
- The Lotus Heart - for vegetarian and Indian-influenced dining.
- Under The Red Verandah - Bohemian styled indoor and outdoor dining.
- The Tannery - a boutique mall built on and supporting our heritage.
- The Lyttleton Farmers Market - still thrives in Lyttleton!
- Christchurch Trams – enjoy sightseeing tours on our beautifully restored heritage trams.
- Christchurch Gondola – view the city from above.
- Canterbury Museum – view the history of our fast evolving city.
- Westfield Riccarton Mall – NZ’s second largest mall to explore, located right across the road from us!
- Robbies Bar & Bistro – enjoy a meal and a brew just a stroll from our location.
- The Antarctic Centre - enjoy a family adventure through Antarctica, without leaving Christchurch!
- Orana Wildlife Park - visit New Zealand's only open range zoo, set on 80 hectares of park-like grounds.
- Airforce Museum - a very interesting exploration into history, suitable for the whole family.
- Willowbank Wildlife Reserve - experience New Zealand's endangered wildlife in natural setting.
- Hassle-free Tours in Christchurch - choose from a "Lord of the Rings" tour, "Discover Christchurch" tour, and an "Alpine Safaris Tour"
to experience the best of what the region has to offer.
- Discovery Jet at the Rakaia Gorge - experience the thrill of jet boating, hunting, fishing or a combination of all.
- Aoraki Hot Air Balloon Safaris - enjoy the sheer magic of hot air ballooning over the Canterbury plains.
- Quake City - an informative and interactive earthquake experience coordinated by the Canterbury Museum.
- Adrenalin Forest - try an aerial obstacle course up to 23 metres high for a wicked adrenalin rush.
- Yaldhurst Museum - discover Christchurchs' premium car and transport museum.
- Adventure Mini Golf - fun for the young and young at heart.